LL-L 'Etymology' 2006.07.05 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 5 22:31:28 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 05 July 2006 * Volume 03

From: Heather Rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Morphology' 2006.07.04 (09) [D]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
Ron writes >wassen ["vas=n] (to grow)<

Ron Could I ask for some more examples of 's' & 'ss' in Low Saxon

We have a place name near here = Broadwas

and the latter element '-was' is usually connected to German ' Wasser'.

I woudl ahve expected Saxon / OE to have 'water' or some such.

Does 'ss' usually represent a German 'chs' as here? Or is there no hard
and fast rule?

Best wishes from a bakingly hot Worcestershire

Heather

---------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Heather!  It's good to hear from you again.  Keep cool!  We had that type of
weather recently, only hotter (I believe, over 90 degrees F).

Heather, Low Saxon is perfectly "Lowlandic" when it comes to preservation of
_t-_, _-t-_, _-tt-_ and _-t_; e.g.,

Engl. | Scots | Dutch | Afrik. | WFris. | LSaxon | German
tide | tid | tijd | tyd | tiid | tyd (tied) | Zeit
water | watter | water | water | wetter | water | Wasser
better | better | beter | beter | better | beter | besser
wit | wit | weten | weet | witte | weten | wissen
shoot | shuit | schieten | skiet | sjitte | scheyten | schießen
bite | bite | bijten | byt | bite | byten (bieten) | beißen
cat | cat | kat | kat | kat | kat | Katze

In Low Saxon, _s_ and _ss_ are not derived from _t_, _tt_, etc., as they are in
German, Allemanic and Yiddish.

_s_ stands for /z/, so it's irrelevant to our discussion.

_ss_ is derived, among others probably, from the following:

passen 'to pass' < O/MFrench passer
missen 'to miss' < OSax missan (OFries missan 'to lack')
gissen 'to guess' < MSax gessen ~ gissen (ME gessen > guess)
küssen 'to kiss' < OSax kussian (OEng cyssan > kiss)
wassen 'to grow' < OSax wahsan (OEng weaxan > wax)
wass 'wax' < OSax wahs (OEng weax > wax)
Sass 'Saxon' (noun) < OSax sahso (OEng seaxe)
Sassisch 'Saxon' (adj.) < OSax sahsisc

Interesting:
ik weet 'I know'
wy weett ~ wy weten 'we know'
ik wüss 'I knew'
wy wüssen 'we knew'

Does this help a bit, Heather?

I wonder if Broadwas has anything to do with "wax" (noun) in the sense of
"growth" or "extension," or perhaps with "waste" < Old French _wast(e)_ (in the
sense of "wasteland").

http://www.behindthename.com/bb_gen/arcview.php?id=56959
"broad tract of alluvial land." (from A.D. Mills's A Dictionary of English
Place-Names)"

Ah!
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=43124
"Bradewesse (viii cent.); Bradewasse (x cent.); Bradewesham (xi cent.); Bradewa,
Bradewasse (xii cent.); Bradwas, Bradwes (xvii cent.); Bredweys (xviii cent.)."

Old English candidate (according to moi):

wæsce 'washing place'

I hope this helped, Heather.