LL-L 'History' 2006.07.12 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Jul 12 14:41:13 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 12 July 2006 * Volume 02

From: 'Scat' <Scat at cfl.rr.com>
Subject: -L 'Anniversary' 2006.07.11 (09) [E]

I thought that German was a chocolate maker who made German's chocolate. I
recall
buying some decades ago. He came out with German's chocolate cake for
advertising.
I have seen several recipes for German's chocolate cake.
Scott Catledge

----------

From: Heather Rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET
>Why all those things are exactly Dutch? <

What is interesting too is that what isn't ascribed to the Dutch is called
'French........" French pox French letters etc etc

Whoever happened to be the most recent enemy in the 18th & 19th
centuries???????

Dutch barn - barn with no walls just a roof

Dutch auction - the reverse of a normal auction where a very high price is
set to start with and it comes down step by step. The first person to
interject, buys at that price

Dutch courage - a drink to bolster one's nerves - to give you dutch
courage

etc

Heather

----------

From: 'Hugo Zweep' <Zweep at bigpond.com>

Ben
A Dutch auction is where the auctioneer starts with a high price and
decreases that price until one of the particpants accepts the price being
offered. This is the opposite of the traditional English type auction where
the auctioneer starts with a low price and leaves it to the participants to
raise what they offer.

I don't know how far back the Dutch auction goes but I did see it as a small
boy and clearly remember the auction room in Winschoten, prov. Groningen, in
1948 where farm produce was being sold by this method.

Then, wouldn't you know, I grew up in Australia and became an auctioneer for
a while of real estate by the English method. Often thought how I'd like to
do a Dutch auction but the idea was too strange to find acceptance.

Hugo Zweep