LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.16 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Jul 16 23:53:54 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 16 July 2006 * Volume 03

From: 'Global Moose Translations' <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Delectables' 2006.07.16 (02) [E/LS]

Ron:
>Or did in earlier times the notorious North German tradition of
_Krüschheit_
>(pickiness that rejects anything that has flavor and aroma, or anything
that is
>new) play a role in this as well? (_Igitt-igitt! Kees'? Nä, den kannst ja
rüken!
>Äch! Nä! Daar bliev' mi vun af mit! Den äät ik nich, un de kümmt mi
ook nich in
>'t Huus._)

But they did eat herring and other strong-flavoured seafood instead! And
sausages that were not for the faint of heart.

So, on one side of the border, they had an elaborate cheese culture, with
every town and region producing its own distinct flavours, and across the
border - which wasn't even always in place - nothing. Nothing at all.

Maybe the Germans were too clean and fastidious, so their milk never went
bad in the first place? Or maybe no one ever told them about rennet?

Gabriele Kahn