LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.20 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Mar 20 17:15:41 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

   L O W L A N D S - L * 20 March 2006 * Volume 05

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.18 (03) [E]

Dear Ron,

I was thrilled to read that you also mention South African English in the
list. It wasn't clear to me: do you need a few lines 'translated' into SA
English?

I intend to write my doctoral thesis on this subject. First I will go to
Port Elizabeth, South Africa, from July to November, to collect data on
local English accents. It will be a lot of fun.

Best regards,

Marcel.
http://www.roepstem.net

So, how about some more efforts here, kiddos?  Welsh English?  Irish
English?  New Zealand English?  South African English?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Lexicon

Hi, Marcel!

*Any* language variety is more than welcome, even several translations into
and sound recordings in the same variety.   I've been on people's case about
South African, Irish and New Zealand English (among other things) for quite
some time, and I have discussed aspects of SA English before.

The story ought to be retranslated into authentic language, and a recording
ought to be added if possible.

Good luck with the dissertation and field work!  Make sure you take a
digital recorder with you.  They are excellent and no longer expensive.