LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.20 (03) [A/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 21 16:56:41 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

21 March 2006 * Volume 03

From: Marcel Bas <marcelbas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.20 (08) [E]

Dear Ron

>Tsk, tsk ... You're not only out of practice but also out of touch, buddy.
>(That's what happens to naughty boys that jump off.)  I suggest you go back
>to our homepage ( http://www.lowlands-l.net/) and read up on aims and
>rules.

Ek is so jammer, mr Hahn! Gestroop van alle waardigheid sit en skeur ek hier
my klere en gooi ek as op my hoof...

>English is one of the members of the Lowlands family, and as such, South
>African English is relevant and of interest, doubly so considering its
>contacts with Afrikaans.

I know. That is, a couple of days ago  -- I went through the renewed site's
rules and aims more attentively, and voilà, there was English. Let me guess;
it English a Lowlandic language because it originates from the flat lands of
Schleswig-Holstein? In the past I thought you might only be interested in
Lallands et al.

Thanks for the info on the digital recorders! You're right, I will be
traveling with a laptop, so the recorder won't need so many gadgets.

The next thing I have to find out is if English speaking South Africans know
what a wren is. Chances are that, if they do, they have given the bird its
Afrikaans name ('winterkoninkie') as they tend to do with many animals and
plants. Provided that it is indigenous to SA.

Regards,

Marcel.

----------

From: Ben J. Bloomgren <Ben.Bloomgren at asu.edu>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2006.03.20 (09) [E]

"Dear Ron, I
am absolutely tickled pink with my new name, especially with the uki'uki
part") and Heather (a.k.a. Pualalokupukupu: "I love it!  I shall adopt it
instantly and insist on being called nothing else when I am carrying my
large bag brought back from Hawaii by my daughter last year and filling up
the bird feeder coconut (same source) and wearing my lei/beads (ditto)").

Ron, be careful! The 'Io part of my name tells you that I might come by and
scare those birds out. If you scare your feeder birds, they'll stay birdy
and won't get tamed. Clap! Stomp! Cluck! Woosh!
Ben