LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.20 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Mar 21 22:53:19 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

21 March 2006 * Volume 07

From: Niels Winther <nielswinther at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L Etymology

Hello Ron, you wrote

> ... German dialects have _rappen_, Danish _rappe_, Swedish _rappa_ 'to
> make haste', and obsoletete English "to rap" in the same sense, also
> Middle
> Saxon and Middle Duch as well as Swedish _rap(p)_ 'quick', 'rapid'.

also Old Norse adj: _hrappr_ 'quick' and verb: _hrapa_ 'to hurry' .
Cheers
Niels

----------

From: Kevin Caldwell <kevin.caldwell1963 at verizon.net>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2006.03.20 (04) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Interesting, Roger.  But can you come up with cognates in related
> languages?
>
> Ah, yes, German dialects have _rappen_, Danish _rappe_, Swedish _rappa_
> make haste', and obsoletete English "to rap" in the same sense, also
> Middle
> Saxon and Middle Duch as well as Swedish _rap(p)_ 'quick', 'rapid'.
>
> But I still wonder if these either came from or are related to Latin and
> Old
> French *_rapid-_, also *_rap-_ as in Latin _rapio_ 'raptor', 'bird of
> prey'
> (attacking quickly? but that may be related to _rapo_ 'robber').

Latin-derived 'raptor', 'rapt', 'rapture', 'rape', etc. all come from a root
meaning roughly 'to snatch up, carry away'.

Kevin Caldwell (who has no Hawaiian name yet) ;)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Niels!

> also Old Norse adj: _hrappr_ 'quick' and verb: _hrapa_ 'to hurry' .

I didn't know those.  I was only aware of _hrapa_ 'to teeter', 'to
collapse', 'to fall down', and _hrapan_ 'fall', 'collapse', probably related
to _hrapi_ 'low-growing tree whose branches touch the ground', and _hrapi_
'(destructive) fire'.  They've been linked with Indo-European *_(s)kred-_,
_(s)ker-_ 'to move', 'to swing', 'to teeter'.

> Kevin Caldwell (who has no Hawaiian name yet) ;)

Auē, kāhōhō!

Here you go:

Luawaianu-Nihinihi
(< *Ruawaihanu-Nifinifi)

anu (cold)
luawai (wellspring)
nihi (gentle, soft, careful)
nihinihi (very gentle, very careful, great care, careful observance,
   decorous(ness), fastidious(ness), finicky, "sticklerdom")