LL-L "Grammar" 2006.05.10 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed May 10 21:58:08 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 10 May 2006 * Volume 05

From: From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Recently, Gabriele mentioned that many Americans say "to wait on" instead
of "to wait for."

According to most traditional grammars, both of them are grammatical,
those most dialects these days use "to wait for" in the sense of awaiting
someone or something and "to wait on" in the sense of serving someone;
e.g.,

(1) "I'm tired of waiting for you all the time."
    (I am sick of standing/sitting around until you arrive.)

(2) "I'm tired of waiting on you all the time."
    (I am sick of you expecting me to be your waiter.)

However, as I said, "to wait on" can mean the same as "to wait for."  It
is perceived as somewhat odd and old-fashioned by most people now.  It
occurs a lot in church language, especially in Southern Protestant
contexts (e.g., the Baptist slogan "Wait on the Lord!"), also "stuffy"
legal and administrative language (e.g., "waiting on a court decision").
I have a hunch it is Scottish-derived, because I believe that it is quite
common in Scots and Scottish English.

Here's a triple whammy:

(1) different from
(2) different than
(3) different to

Apparently they all mean the same thing.

I came to the U.S. using (1) and found American (2) strange at first.  In
the meantime I have heard several British people say (3).  Lately I have
also heard some non-Americans use (2).