LL-L 'Phonology' 2006.10.25 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 25 23:28:29 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands at lowlands-l.net
Posting: lowlands at listserv.linguistlist.org or lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 25 October 2006 * Volume 10

From: Luc Hellinckx [luc.hellinckx at gmail.com]
Subject: LL-L 'Phonology'

Ron,

You wrote:
> A friend and I are wondering why the emerging standard pronunciation of the
> computer operating system Linux is "Lennux" rather than expected *"Linnux".
> (Formerly used "Leenux" and "Lienux" are now out in the English-speaking world.)
>
> Clearly, the pronunciation "Lennux" for Linux seems like an oddity. However,
> both of us have been hearing it used more and more, especially among Linux and
> Open Source movers and shakers (of which we know quite a few between us)
The pronunciation of Linux had a bit of a false start. English speakers
tended to pronounce it like "Lienux" in the beginning (just like China
sounds more like Cheena in most countries...except in English). Then
Linus Torvald (main developer of the kernel and the guy after whom Linux
is named) was asked how it should be pronounced and he must have said
"Leenux". So the world got divided: most people pronouncing it more or
less like "Leenux"...except English speakers who were more fond of
"Lienux", but who knew at the same time that Linus didn't really favor
this version (pun intended :-D ). Maybe that set them off to find an
alternative like the one you mentioned above "Lennux". An existing
(popular?) name like Lennox may have pushed some in that direction
("Angleichung").

Greetz,

Luc Hellinckx