LL-L 'Resources' 2006.09.06 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Sep 6 19:51:55 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 06 September 2006 * Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Lowlanders,

My Klaus Groth site has moved to the following address:
http://www.lowlands-l.net/groth/

I'm announcing this because I am aware of some of you visiting them occasionally or
regularly.

The presentation contains a selection of Klaus Groth's Low Saxon (Low German)
poems and songs accompanied by my English translation and by German glossaries.
Copies of the original works also appear in three kinds of transliteration, one
of them intended for readers in the Netherlands.

Six works have been added during the past few days.

I am fairly surprised to find that this presentation experiences a fair bit of
web traffic from all over the world. The most frequently visited pages are those
displaying the all-time favorites (that some people believe to be folk songs)
and, probably because of curiosity value, the poem about Low Saxon in America.
However, I'm displaying some lesser-known works as well, in hopes of widening the
scope. (By the way, for those of you getting ready to scare the kids on
Halloween, there are three suitable works: _Dat gruli Hus_ [The Eerie House],
_Dat stœhnt int Moor_ [Moaning on the Moor] and _He wak_ [He woke].)

I indend to give the site a face lift as soon as I get around to it.

Your comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Kumpelmenten,
Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: Please bear in mind that I do not mean to imply that I am promoting Groth's
works as great world literature. I merely wish to acknowledge that, aside from
linguistic interest, they enjoy broad appeal in Northern Germany and offer
glimpses at popular, folk-based genres and styles that came with the Low Saxon
(Low German) revival movement of the 19th century, a revival movement that was
influenced by the concurrent European Romantic Movement as a reaction to social
and environmental impacts of the Industrial Revolution.