LL-L 'Language politics' 2006.09.24 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Sep 24 22:05:05 UTC 2006

http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

L O W L A N D S - L * 24 September 2006 * Volume 02

From: 'Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc.' [roger.thijs at euro-support.be]
Subject: LL-L 'Language politics' 2006.09.24 (02) [E]

> From: 'Global Moose Translations' [globalmoose at t-online.de]
> Subject: LL-L 'Language politics' 2006.09.23 (01) [E]
>
> ... There are linguists
> out there who want it to be a strong, unified language, after all! They
need
> to change their evil ways! I am going to come up with my own phonetic
system
> and propagate it, and compel everyone to talk like that henceforth in
order
> to "save the language"!

Actually this happened in Northern Belgium. It started with the commission
orthography in 1844 in despite of strong opposition by West-Flemings in the
parliament.
"Belgian low Franconian" (Flemish, Brabantish and Limburgish) got Dutch as
standard. I think in 1844 hardly anyone could speak it decently - it was
more a written koiné. Curiously this standardization was imposed by the
goverment itself, since the different provincial "Memorials" used different
spelling systems (Des Roches, Behaeghel) for translating law at the time.

The "Dutch" language became the main token against the omnipresence of
French (cf. the "vernederlandsing" of Ghent university in the beginning of
the 20th century.)
I think this is different from Northern Germany. "Low Saxon" movements, to
the best of my knowledge, have no program for banning "High German"
completely in the Northern states. Btw, the process in Belgium took about
150 years (7 generations?).

So what were our bernefits:
- We got French out
- We got Dutch in.
- Our Flemish, Brabantish, and Limburgish dialects have a difficult time.
When we compare with Northern France, where the West-Flemish dialects
coexisted still for some generations with French, I think we are better of.
The drawback: the knowledge of French by young Flemings is becoming rather
poor.

Regards,
Roger