LL-L "History" 2007.04.06 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 01:50:56 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 April 2007 - Volume 02

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.04.05 (04) [E]

> From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
> Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.07 (01) [A/D/E]
>
> Perhaps the final proof of the link between the Scythians and the
> Scots lies in their complete obsession with time.  In my last posting,
> I mentioned the great Scythian Dionysius Exiguus (Dennis the Little),
> to whom we owe our current year numbering system.  However, perhaps

This isn't a link, it's a similarity. It's not even the beginnings of a
proof, never mind the final one!

>  the greatest European promoter of this new system was the great
> Northumbrian (hence, Scot) the Venerable Bede.  As further proof (and
> a connection to Canada, Marcel), is the great, but unheralded Canadian
> Sanford Fleming (not to be confused with the great Lowlands
> contributor of the same name), whose proposal regarding standard time
> zones at the Prime Meridian Conference in Washington, D.C. in 1884,
> was accepted.  His obsession with this issue started when he missed a
> train due to the hopelessly confusing train schedules prior to
> standard time.  We might also refer to the dark history of Freemasonry
> in Scotland which led somewhat circuitously to the founding of the
> Royal Society under Charles II, who primarily needed a better clock so
> his navy could figure out where they were, longitudinally speaking.

So as examples of Scots you cite a Northumbrian, a Canadian and Charles
II.

Am I missing something or isn't this Scots/Scythian thread is all about
someone who spotted the similarity between the two words and naively
decided there must therefore be a link?

The modern name "Scotland" comes from the tribe of the Scoti who came
over to Scotland from Ireland. It doesn't link to Northumbrians or even
Scottish Lowlanders.

This whole discussion seems to be based on the writers not explaining
what they mean by the word "Scot". It started as nonsense and has
degenerated from there!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/