LL-L "History" 2007.04.06 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 04:12:45 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 April 2007 - Volume 03

From: john welch <sjswelch at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: LL-L "History"[E]

A link with Brahma of the Indo-European tribes is seen in IE brih "
praise.expand" > Tocharian bramn.kte "Brahma god",   Persian /Sanskrit
braman(i)ya "reverently",   Russian / Polish /German bram "ship top-mast"
for admirals' and state flags,    OSwed bram "state.pomp"    and OE breme. *
(quote)"bréman*; *part.* brémende; *p.* de; *pp.* ed; *v. a.* [bréme *
celebrated*] *To celebrate, solemnise, make famous, have in
honour;*celebrare, honorare:-Đćt hie đćt hálige gerýne bréman mǽgen
*that they may celebrate the holy mystery* [i.e. *the sacrament*], L. E. I,
4; Th. ii. 404, 27. Á brémende *ever celebrating,* Exon. 13 a; Th. 24, 20;
Cri. 387. We đec, hálig Drihten, gebédum brémaţ *we celebrate thee, holy
Lord, in our prayers,* Cd. 192; Th. 241, 17; Dan. 406: Menol. Fox 186; Men.
94. Bodiaţ and brémaţ beorhtne geleáfan *preach and make famous bright
belief,* Exon. 14 b; Th. 30, 21; Cri: 483. DER. ge-bréman."(end quote)
"Breman maegen" (in line 3 of quote) suggests the Persian magi priests,
"revered".  Perhaps the Saxons and Celts were generic brahmins as
"praisers". "Drihten" in line 5 sounds a bit suspicious, too.
John Welch

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

John,

To make such connections between names you need to convince folks that the
sound correspondences are consistent with other word cognates between
whatever languages are involved.  You can't just pick words or names and say
they sound similar and are therefore likely to be related.  For instance,
the h in brahmin isn't there just by chance or to lengthen the vowel.  You
can't ignore it but must justify its absence in what you postulate as its
cognates in other languages.

In the case of "Saxon" and their sahs sword it's clear that there is a
connection with Indo-European *sek- "cut".  If names like Saka are supposed
to be related to it, how do you reconcile that with "cut"?

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.04.06 (02) [E]

At 06:50 PM 04/06/07 -0700, Sandy wrote:
>So as examples of Scots you cite a Northumbrian

Linguistically speaking, yes.

>, a Canadian

Sir Sanford Fleming was born in Kirkcaldy, Scotland in 1827.

>and Charles
>II.

Not a Scot?  You're kidding!  He was crowned King of Scots in Scone January
1, 1651, so at least people thought that back then.

>This whole discussion seems to be based on the writers not explaining
>what they mean by the word "Scot". It started as nonsense and has
>degenerated from there!

My point exactly!  I'm glad you got it.  But it was supposed to make you
laugh, not become angry and frustrated!

Ed Alexander