LL-L "Demographics" 2007.04.16 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 18:24:37 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  16 April 2007 - Volume 02

From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
Subject: LL-L "Demographics" 2007.04.15 (02) [E]

On Monday 16 April 2007 04:50, Lowlands-L List wrote:
> <snip>
>
> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Demographics
>
> Hi, Wesley!
>
> You wrote:
<snip>
> I hope the mutual free migration deal is still in place between Australia
> and New Zealand, though.  I really like that.

So do I.
<snip>
> > To the best of my
> > knowledge, I'm still an Australian Protected Person! ;)
>
> Oh, we do love protecting you, Wes!

Now you're frightening me! ;)

> > I apparently share a common first name with one of
> > the culture heroes of a people who live in the Torricellis, and who
> > consequently regard me as one of them - my parents lived there for a
> > number
> > of years after my birth, and got on famously with the locals because of
> > me! ;)
>
> You could be crowned king yet. Things like that have happened.  But what
if

No, not them.  They don't have kings - tribal leaders are only "elected" on
account of character, mostly strength of character if my memory serves me
rightly - and the ability to serve up goods for followers -, not descent.
Thank $DEITY!  It's the northern coastal people - Austronesian language
speakers - who have this "hereditary" leadership nonsense - Michael Somare
is
apparently a chief's son, so it doesn't always turn out badly, but I'd say
he's a rarity.  And the morons in the British Bollocky are more the
standard.
> they only give credit to your parents for giving you that name and they

The person they named me after was an American they had a lot of respect and
liking for; then they turned up at this place in the Torricellis! ;)

As they say, if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined! ;)
> couldn't care less about you?  ;-)

Who knows!  Indeed, who knows! ;)  Pity Rider Haggard never wrote about that
sort of situation - but once he got onto his "hidden civilization/s" theme
he
only got off that to rave about "She Who Must Be Obeyed" - presumably
because
she insisted he do so! ;)

> Cheerio!
> Reinhard/Ron

Wesley Parish
-----
Gaul is quartered into three halves.  Things which are
impossible are equal to each other.  Guerrilla
warfare means up to their monkey tricks.
Extracts from "Schoolboy Howlers" - the collective wisdom
of the foolish.
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?