LL-L "Delectables" 2007.04.17 (11) [A/E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 00:18:37 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  17 April 2007 - Volume 11

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Review" 2007.04.16 (06) [E/S]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Review
>
> F. Marian McNeill, The Scots Kitchen : Its traditions and lore, with
> old-time recipes; London & Glasgow : Blackie & Son Ltd., 1929,
> reprinted, 1929, 1931, 1932, 1934, 1937, 1940, 1942, 1944, 1945, 1947,
> 1948;  259 pp., hardback.

I've had this book in my kitchen for many years and often used to use it
before I'd learned all the recipes I really liked.

As for Marcel slaving five hours over a hot haggis, I usually just by
one of the small ones from the shops, skin it, cut it into one-inch
cubes and microwave it for three minutes. Then I break it up with a fork
and microwave it for another three minutes. It's the neeps that need all
the attention, really!

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

From: Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2007.04.17 (05) [E]

:-) Och, Marcel, hulle het jou verwysing na 'afval' gemis.

 Het jy tien ure geskrop en vyf ure gekook?

Net my ouma s'n was skoon genoeg gewas om te eet!

Elsie Zinsser

I must say that this dish took me more than five hours, which it very long.
Afval takes me 15 hours, so haggis is OK.