LL-L "Orthography" 2007.04.18 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 14:14:14 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  18 April 2007 - Volume 01

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk"
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2007.04.17 (10) [E]

Gabriele wrote:

Oh yes, this happens to me all the time. Glad I'm not the only one! Often I
have to go through what I typed and correct all the instances where I wrote
"to" instead of "two" or "too", for example, although I know exactly how it
should be spelled in each instance. This never happens when I write by hand!

I am so glad to hear that!! I thought age and senility were catching up on
me!

I was wondering whether 'sound spelling' predominates,  because even after
24 years of working with computers I  am still a two finger typist - well 3
on a good day and 4 on a bad one! -  and I tend to sound out what I am about
to write. Usually I pick mistakes up immediately they appear on screen......

What fascinates is the difference in behaviour between writing and typing.
Just like you, Gabriele, I would never make such a mistake in writing on
paper.

 I like Luc 's explanation!!
But

 Mr R. F. Hahn Esquire should know the difference between a mistake and an
error.

I was talking about a mistake.

If it were an error, I wouldn't be able to see that it was wrong!!!!!!!!

;-)

love

Heather
----------

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Hi all,

I suspect that, as people feel comfortable with each other they are less
inclined to carefully edit what they're writing (righting?) and hence the
slipping through of errors of the rabbit and sail sort.

Gabrielle, I found that I make the same handwriting errors that I make when
I type.

Something that irritates me immensily is that many people here in
SA write as if they're doing mobile phone smss to pals. I also see
increasingly more Its, there, where (for: It's, their, were) and other
unmentionables even in official reports! Shodddy, I say.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser