LL-L "Semantics" 2007.04.19 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 00:10:24 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  19 April 2007 - Volume 10

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2007.04.19 (03) [E]

From: "heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk"
> Subject: LL-L "Semantics" 2007.04.18 (02) [E]
>
> Ron/Reinhard wrote:
> A "typo," as far as I know, is by origin not a "typing
> mistake" (although this would be logical) but a "typing error" -- or
> so I humply submit while bracing myself for another volley from the
> schoolmasters' and -mistresses' corner of the room.
>
> Here it comes!!!!!
>
> Mistake = slip of focus/concentration; if you were thinking about it,
> you wouldn't make it
>
> Error = a current system or belief that is thought to be correct and
> so submitted as such; one man's error may be another man's delight.

"Error" is a word I don't use in speech, only in writing. If I use it in
speech it'll be because I'm repeating something I've read.

A "mistake", to me, is something a human being makes.

A "bug" is something that goes wrong in the execution of a computer
program due to it having been programmed wrongly.

I'll use "error" in writing for either "bug" or "mistake" if I feel that
a certain amount of formality or neutrality is in order. But that's my
perception of my clients' preference, rather than my own preference.

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

----------

From: Arthur Jones <arthurobin2002 at yahoo.com>

Hi Lowlanders,

Pertaining to Heather's enlightening and lighthearted message below (and I
would that more teachers were of her school!), the Brits among us may recall
the anecdote in which the wife of an Oxford English professor returns home
ahead of schedule from her shopping trip, whereupon she discovers her
husband in bed with a graduate student.

"Henry!", she shouts, "I'm surprised!"

"No", he calmly responds, "*I'm* surprised. You're astonished."

Thuk golitha,

Arthur
**