LL-L "Orthography" 2007.04.20 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 14:13:51 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  20 April 2007 - Volume 01

From: Obiter Dictum <obiterdictum at mail.ru>
Subject: LL-L "Orthography" 2007.04.19 (09) [E]

Heather wrote:

> Isn't it that:
> homophones sound the same but are spellt/spelled differently and have
> different meanings
> homographs are written the same, may sound the same or differently and
have
> different meanings
> homonyms cover both of these ??????

Pr'aps (c) R.F. Hahn 2007.

Do you also make homographic typos? ;)

Kumplementen,

Toyotomi Ri (aka Vlad Lee)

----------

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Orthography

Hi All

I've found the discussions by Ben et al about forward
/ foreword interesting.

As a Londoner I would pronounce the two completely
differently always, whether stressed or not. 'forward'
would be pronounced as one word so /'fUuw at d/, whereas
'foreward' is pronounced as if it was two words, being
/'fo:w3:d/ with secondary stress on 'word'. But I
don't think this has anything to do with my accent
being non-rhotic as Ron suggests. There's other
processes going on here. The raising of 'or' to /Uu/
when non-morpheme final (forward not considered as two
morphemes).

By the way did you know that 'foreword' is a
translation from German 'Vorwort'?

Gary