LL-L "Anniversary" 2007.08.01 (03) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:45:04 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  01 August 2007 - Volume 03

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Dear Lowlanders,

This is a reminder to say that our Anniversary project (
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/) is continuing and awaits your attention.

The project receives a lot of attention, interest and acclaim from all over
the world, is by far the most visited of our sites.  It seems to be doing
just what we intended in that it introduces our specialized area via a wider
area.

If you can't come up with translations and/or recordings yourselves, please
see if you can recruit people you know. Many people actually enjoy doing it,
especially if you let them know that we look at all language varieties with
genuine interest and respect and that this is a unique opportunity for them
to showcase the varieties they grew up with and/or care about.

Kudos to our Andrys Onsman who lately has been doing some recruiting from
his location (Melbourne, Australia) and who has been very supportive in
other ways as well (and over many years too).  Most recently Andrys supplied
Russian and Ukrainian translations and recordings.

If you go to the site (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/) and scroll down a bit
you can see what is relatively new.

I got a lovely surprise this morning in the form of two translations into
Westphalian Low Saxon of Osnabrück (Ossenbrügge):
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/ossenbrugge.php. I had long hoped for
representation of that dialect. Those of you familiar with and interested in
Western Low Saxon (which is used on both sides of the border between Germany
and the Netherlands) might like to take a closer look at it and might
discover features that they know in the Netherlands (such as in Twente). For
this reason I have added a transliteration in "Dutch" spelling (
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/ossenbrugge-nl.php). The same gentleman, whose
letter I append below, also translated into this dialect my Middle Saxon
verse translation (lowlands-l.net/anniversary/sassysch-ossenbrugge.php,
original Middle Saxon with sound:
lowlands-l.net/anniversary/sassysch-roman.php).

It looks as though we will be able to add audio files to the new pages.

As you can see, non-members out there are interested and quite a few go the
extra mile to add material to the project. Naturally, we owe them thanks.

Thanks and regards,
Reinhard/Ron

***