LL-L "What does it mean?" 2007.12.01 (01) [E]

Sat Dec 1 19:18:54 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  01 December 2007 - Volume 01

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at WORLDONLINE.NL>
Subject: LL-L "What does it mean?" 2007.11.30 (05) [D/E]

Yes, "jildne" is definitely the same as Dutch "gulden", as is already
explained by a few members here. But to understand this, one must know
that the short Dutch u in gulden is not [U] as in German, but [Y] or [2],
so the German spelling would be "gülden". Unrounding from ü to i is a
small step. In this poem we see also "feetkes" with unrounded long ö [2:]

The poem's translation in Dutch:

Ik sta op een lelieblad
de voetjes waren mij immer nat
het bord heeft een gulden rand