LL-L "Etymology" 2007.12.06 (07) [E]

Fri Dec 7 00:36:23 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 December 2007 - Volume 07

From: heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk <heatherrendall at tiscali.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.12.06 (06) [E/F/LS]

Is it allowed to satrt a new etymological question under the same heading.

We have a dreadful lurgie go round at the moment: nasty head cold, sore
throat and bad cough. My daughter married to a Scot has been picking up his
way of saying things and was heard last week to remark " You've given me the
smits" i.e. you've passed the infection on to me

I had never heard this before. Apparently there's 'smittle' as well, meaning
infection. Does it have any lowland link?

Heather

just about to retire to bed with a large mug of hot damson cordial to keep
the bugs at bay!