LL-L "Etymology" 2007.12.10 (01) [E]

Mon Dec 10 17:31:39 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  10 December 2007 - Volume 01

From: Denis Dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.12.09 (01) [D/E]

Ron,
In our southwest-flemish dialect "een bizze" is a moment of heavy rainfall.
So here is an apparently direct relationship with (water) bursting out.
Unfortunately, like many words, it is getting unused (like so many of my
grandmothers words......)

denis dujardin
kortrijk (west-flanders)

----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.12.08 (05) [E/German]

Beste Joachim,

Du schreyvst (quoting August Lübben):

1. "bersen (birsen), ..
pirschen" [to stalk - in chase], which seems to be - phonologically -
the root for Northern Saxonian "birsen"; (from that, btw, "birser"
could be a LS translation for the modern, psychopathologic and
forensic "stalker", and "Pirscher" the Standard German one, too)

2. "bissen, .. 1. wie toll hin-und herlaufen,
bes. vom Rindvieh, wenn es vom Bisselwurm (oestrus bovis) umschwärmt
und gestochen wird, oder in der Brunstzeit ist. 2. in Aufruhr
bringen, conturbare."
[1. run as crazu, esp. from cattle, when attacked by {some sort of}
vermins - Bisselworms - or in the mating season 2. to bring in
disturbance/brouhaha]

You just wrote that it were two different words, but I am not sure if you
quoted the meaning of 1. completely.
In our LS _birsen_ means cattle running away (with their tails up!)
specially from a fly which is called G 'Dasselfliege', E: 'worble fly'. It
is also used in Northern Standard German as well.
So the meaning is exact like that of _bissen_, as you quoted.
 An LS proverb says:

"Loot de Koyh man birsen,
sey köönt' jo narms hen.
Links un' rechts is Hokelwaark,
un achtern sünd de Wier'n."

("Don't mind the cows to run,
they can't escape to anywhere.
At left and right are [wire-]fences
and backsides are the wires.")

*GRIMM* doesn't see an obvious relation to 'pirschen':
*/quote*

  *PIRSCHEN*,*PÜRSCHEN*, *verb.* *mit verschobenem anlaute* pfirschen (*P**
FISTER* *nachträge zu Vilmar *205) *was* birschen, bürschen *th.* 2, 40. 550
(*aus altfranz.* bercer, *franz.* berser, *durchbohren, mit dem bolzen oder
pfeil erschieszen s.* *D**IEZ*4 520, *wornach die th.* 2, 40 *gegebene
deutung* '*im gehege jagen*' *zu berichtigen ist*):

*unquote\*

But *DUDEN* does:

*/quote*

»auf die Schleichjagd gehen, beschleichen«: Die nhd. Form geht über älter
Pfeil] jagen« entlehnt ist. þ Aus dem Verb rückgebildet ist *Pirsch *(16.
Jh.). Siehe auch den Artikel preschen.

Duden - Das Herkunftswörterbuch, 3. Aufl. Mannheim 2001 [CD-ROM]
*unquote\*

So- we may allowed to doubt if the word really is from Middle Low Saxon *
origin*, though it probably had been used there.

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm