LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.12.10 (05) [E]

Mon Dec 10 21:50:53 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  09 December 2007 - Volume 05

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2007.12.10 (03) [D/E/LS]

Jonny wrote:
>The prefix *'ab-'* here obviously denotes the direction 'down from (the
pulpit)'.

And Reinhard:
>You get *ank**ündigen*, which means 'to announce', originally apparently
someone's arrival. Ecclesiastic *>abk**ündigen* may well be a case of
retention of an otherwise discontinued word, the opposite: 'to >announce
someone's departure'.

Actually, I think it is called "abkündigen" because it is done pretty much
at the end of the service: something like, "before we all leave now and meet
again in a week, there are a few things that I would like to announce...".

Gabriele Kahn