LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.02.05 (02) [E]

Mon Feb 5 19:56:18 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 February 2007 - Volume 02

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Language varieties' 2007.02.04 (05) [E]

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Language varieties' 2007.02.04 (01) [E]

Paul Finlow-Bates wrote:
>As to Sleepy Hollow, the movie with Johnny Depp a few years back
>was actually the first time I'd ever heard of "Hessians".
>Would the late and not-very-lamented Rudolf have had ancestry
>in that area? (Hessen, not NE America!)

According to that logic, shouldn't you be worried more about your own
possible family relationship with Norman Bates (the murderer from
"Psycho")?!

Gabriele Kahn

***

Hi Gabriele,

My question was actually just as to whether the surname Hess had a
place-name element to it realting to that region, rather than anything to do
with Rudolf or his cronies.  I'm sure there are thousands of people
surnamed Hess, but he's the only one I know of.

I'm not descended form any Bateses anyway, but even if my surname was
Goebels or Hitler, I wouldn't worry - I haven't done anything!

Paul