LL-L 'Quoting' 2007.02.07 (12) [E]

Wed Feb 7 23:00:36 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L - 07 February 2007 - Volume 12

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Quoting' 2007.02.06 (08) [E]

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Role Play' 2007.02.06 (04) [E]

..
By role play I mean where a speaker dispenses with the "he said, she
said" sort of speech tags and more or less becomes the people in their
discourse.

In Scots it seems to me that one of the main cues in switching to a
different speaker is a pause and an audible intake of breath (not
necessarily in that order). ....

I don't think I've ever really observed this sort of thing in English,
on the other hand. ...

Sandy Fleming
http://scotstext.org/

Not in the Standard form maybe.  Many regional dialects use a "my turn"
marker though.  Most striking is Liverpool.  Scousers can hardly say
anything without a prefaced  "mmmneeeyah"..

Ordering a drink from the bar must be performed as:  "..mmmneeyah I'll 'ave
a pint o' bitter an' two o'lager..".  Simply saying "A pint of bitter and
two of lager please" is likely to be met with a confused stare.

Some Leicester folk used a muttered "wayasec" ("wait a second")  before
sentences, though it seems to have faded.

Paul