LL-L 'Language acquisition' 2007.02.12 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 15:31:20 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 13 February 2007 - Volume 01

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Language acquisition' 2007.02.12 (02) [E]

Jonny wrote:
>I think it to be extraordinary difficult to learn ‚good' Dutch for a
German, too, in special if any LS is >in your mind. These languages all are
too close together, all differences just are slight ones.

Well, I think I mentioned before that, when I was 15 and visiting my sister
in Holland, I knew no Dutch and got by with Platt just fine. When I was 23,
I learned to speak Dutch fluently and used it a lot for the next seven years
or so; ever since, I have no longer been able to speak Lower Saxon. Whenever
I open my mouth, Dutch comes out. This is also aggravated by the fact that I
grew up surrounded by several different flavours of Platt which I brewed
into a mixture of my own when I was young. It would probably be quite
different if I had spoken the dialect of one specific region, or one
specific set of people, to which I could always come back for repeated
immersion.

Gabriele Kahn

----------

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>

Jonny says "I found out that a good mixture of the above mentioned
languages, spiced with some English in an emergency case is able to open
nearly every border- no matter where the grandmas come from ;-)! Viva
Ingvaeonica"

Right on Jonny, My Mother told the story that, once when accompanying my
Father to a meeting in Oslo, she got bothered by a nail in her shoe. She saw
a small shoe-repair shop and tried to explain to the owner what was wrong,
first in English, then in German and finally in despair she said " Man, geb
me doch en niptang….It worked. Viva Ingvaeonica!!!! Jacqueline