LL-L "Yiddish' 2007.02.17 (02) [E/French/German]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 23:06:29 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 17 February 2007 - Volume 02

From: Karl-Heinz Lorenz <karl-heinz.lorenz at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Yiddish' 2007.02.17 (01) [E/German]

  'Allo Rein'ard!

Merci vielmols auch an disch!

 Isch han  gschriewe:

          In Alemannic it should be "MINE Hamat isch Grüsse(n) etc." and
also in Alsatian. But I'm not sure totally. But also if it's "mei" etc in
Alsace, this would be a non-Alemannic feature in it.

Du hasch geantwort':

         Not to put too fine a point on it (and to help a non-Lowlands
tangent to go on for much longer), let me add that some Lowlanders may be a
bit confused by the above, due to terminology.

          I was always under the impression that Alsatian is Alemannic, i.e.
a branch of Low Alemannic.
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alemannic_German )

          So it seems to me that "Alsatian (Alemannic)" vs "other Alemannic
varieties" or "non-Alsatian Alemannic" would make these distinction clearer.

 Yes, yes, this is right, I don't want to confuse anyone, but this Yiddish
Alsatian has a lot of Suabian and Palatine (Pälzisch) in it. This
afternoon I listened to these sound files, Lee (Goldberg) provided:

http://judaisme.sdv.fr/dialecte/index.htm

(I could not earlier, because I can't install Real-player on the notebook I
use job related.)

Listening and writing down parts of it answered many of the questions about
the words I listed some days ago. The Jews in Alsace are obviously to a
great part from Suabia and Palatinat, they arrived in Alsace in the 18th
century and mixed their "Jiddisch-Deitsch" with Alsatian-Yiddish.

But I suppose I don't tell you something new because probably you all have
read this:

http://judaisme.sdv.fr/dialecte/articles/plevy.htm

D'autre part, et à la suite de nouvelles persécutions, d'autres éléments
juifs pénètrent dans nos contrées venant cette fois-ci de l'Est, de Souabe
et de Franconie. Et dans ce cas également, dans la prononciation de
certaines voyelles par exemple, les traces de ces apports sont encore
nettement perceptibles dans le judéo-alsacien actuel.

Au revoir et bonne nuit à tous les amis des langues des pays bas en Europe
et Afrique et bon jour à tous les autres en Amérique, le "Down
Under" et "elsewhere"

Karl-Heinz