LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.05 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 16:50:11 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 05 January 2007 - Volume 02

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.04 (01) [E]

Hi, John,

you wrote:

> ...can you give me some information about the greetings _Moin!_ and  _Moin
moin!_ ?

In our LS-region it's mainly used among younger people and less among native
LS-speakers.

It's still considered to be unpolite.

We prefer to say:

_*Gouden Monnen*_, _*Gouden Dag*_ or _*Dag ouk*_ and _*Gouden Oabend*_ or _*‚n
Oabend*_.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------

From: Hugo Zweep <Zweep at bigpond.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.04 (02) [E/LS]
Mathias and others
Since this moin business started I have been racking my brain to remember
what I would have said in the late 1940s in Winschoten, n/e Groningen, and
could only come up with "moi". It was a truncated, abrupt, word and not like
the longer sounding "mooi". I thought that, perhaps, this recollection came
from a faulty memory.

Mathias, I looked up the Wiki reference you gave and see a contribution by
someone called Harm saying he recalls "moi" being used in n/e Groningen. So
maybe my memory of 50+ years and out of the depths of my childhood is right.

My question then is - has it always been "moin" in other LL areas or has it
changed into this, subtly, over time. I can now actually hear, in my mind,
my granfather saying "moi" to people he passed when he visited us in
Australia in the early 1950s.

Hugo Zweep