LL-L 'Funny foreign' 2007.01.18 (03) [E]

Thu Jan 18 20:46:52 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 18 January 2007 - Volume 03

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Funny foreign' 2007.01.18 (01) [E]

Beste Arthur,

> _Butzfletherbutendiek_

Again- there is no word like this! In LS we don't like to put words together
like in Standard German: *Donaudampfschiffahrtskapitänspatent...* ;-)! If
anyone of the community authorities wrote it this way, as a name of a street
or so, he was wrong. One even couldn't make a construction like this in
Standard German, and the new 'Rechtschreib-Reform' tries to muck out the
whole German language regarding these monster-words.

The German, official name is and always has been 'Bützflether Aussendeich',
and you find more, for example 'Bützflether Binnendeich' or 'Bützflether
Moor'. I have seen 'Bützflethermoor' written in one word, but that's wrong
again and very poor German, often invented by people with bad language
education.
(Just last year it happened that a 20,000-Euro-plate on the autobahn from
Bremen to Cuxhaven showed the wrong 'Cuxha*f*en. It had to be removed and as
far as I know to be destroyed...)
The Name 'Bützfleth' one shouldn't try to translate into Stand. G., because
it became an official unit during the centuries. BTW: _Fleth_ is adapted by
Stand. G., too; the DUDEN says:

quote:
"Fleet, das; -[e]s, -e (Kanal in Küstenstädten, bes. in Hamburg)"
unquote

> _Hongrige Wolf_

Just on the other side of the Elbe river in Schleswig-Holstein (near
Itzehoe) there is a village with the same name: 'Hungriger Wolf'. Should
there be any relations to the Flandris equivalent?? Dutch/Flemish immigrants
could have brought it with them.

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm