LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.24 (02) [E/LS]

Wed Jan 24 19:38:51 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 January 2007 - Volume 02

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.24 (01) [LS]

Beste Utz,

wees bedankt foyr Diin Moyh!

Mii dücht, dennen

_*Hörricän*_

schull'n wii weglooten- dat koomt mii tou Spaan'sch vöör ;-).

De

_*Küselwind*_

is in uns nedderdüütsche Dialekt dat, wat opp Standard-Düütsch ‚umlaufende
Winde' sünd: wenn de Wind küselt, weyt nümms recht, wo hey denn nu van her
weihen deiht.

Eyn

_*Feger*_

is dat woll opp Houghdüütsch eyn „Heuteufel" („Kleintrombe", E:
‚dust-devil'; kiek inns hier: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleintrombe )? De
Buern deiht he mennigmool düchdig aargern- hesst Diin Hay/Hau/Heu jüst fein
in Rüghs mookt, suugt hey ‚t hough inne Lucht un smitt Dii weller al'ns
döör'neyn un inne Grobens...

Dennen

_*Dwarrelwind*_

kenn ick amend ne, man no miin Foyhlen is dat woll ouk meyhr „umlaufender
Wind", wat meynst?

Bliivt man alleyn

_*Küselstörm*_

un'

_Warvelstörm_

no, dücht mii.

Dank un Greutens

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

----------
From: A Victorie <victorie.a at home.nl>

Moin,

Bij oons in Drenthe nuumt wij hum ok wel een (Nikstarte) (Niksteerte)
(Warvelwiend)

Arend Victorie
----------

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>

Dear Lowlanners,

some of you might know me as a very respectless person as far as books and
other written sources are concerned. Perhaps I read to much of them...

Now I stumbled about the term G: _lautmalerisch_, E: 'onomatopoetic' (what a
cruel word; the true translation of the German expression would be 'painting
a sound'!) which you can find in many (German) dictionaries if different
etymological sources are unknown.

What exactly does it mean? Isn't the origin of all basic words
"lautmalerisch"? Very old words like G: 'Kuckuck', E: 'cuckoo' are imitating
the call of the bird, and sound and motion of a G: 'Quirl', E: (very dry!)
'beater' is within the word, like in the German verb: 'sausen',LS: 'susen',
 E: 'to sough, to swish'- and thousands more.
And like here, with these examples, I feel many words really painting, like
a musician can be able to paint a picture with his notes.

So- where do these dictionaries decide a word to call *just* 'lautmalerisch'
or not? Depending on the age of the etymological sources perhaps?

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

-------------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Jonny,

> and sound and motion of a G: 'Quirl', E: (very dry!) 'beater' is within
the word

I believe German *Quirl *and the verb *quirlen* are related to English "(to)
twirl", which in turn seems to be related to now obsolete "thwerl" and may
as well be related to "whirl" and "swirl".

Bear in mind that German *kv-* (spelled *qu-*) tends to be related to *tw-*and
*dw-* in the Lowlands languages, such as *quer* = *(dwars un) dwer, Quatsch*=
*dwatsch*.

This shift must have followed the borrowing of *Quark* from Slavonic,
considering for instance Lower Sorbian twarog, Polish *twaróg*, Upper
Sorbian *twaroh*, Czech/Slovak *tvaroh*, Russian творог *tvorog* 'curd'.
Alternatively, German speakers may have perceived foreign tv- as kv- at one
time, or it was their only possible way of rendering it within the
parameters of their native phonological rules.

 Kumpelmenten,