LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.24 (03) [E]

Wed Jan 24 20:38:56 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 24 January 2007 - Volume 03

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L 'Etymology' 2007.01.24 (02) [E/LS]

From: Jonny Meibohm
...Now I stumbled about the term G: _lautmalerisch_, E: 'onomatopoetic'
(what a cruel word; the true translation of the German expression would be
'painting a sound'!) which you can find in many (German) dictionaries if
different etymological sources are unknown.

....So- where do these dictionaries decide a word to call *just*
'lautmalerisch' or not? Depending on the age of the etymological sources
perhaps?

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm

I don't know where "lautmalerish" comes from, but it's definitely my
offering for "Wort der Woche" at my next German Conversation Group meeting!
I wish English had such a wonderful word rather than a clumsy Greek
borrowing.

Paul Finlow-Bates

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

By the way, lautmalerisch is not the only possibility in German; the other
is tonmalerisch, and the technical term is onomatopoetisch ~
onomatopoeietisch. The equivalent nouns are and Lautmalerei and Tonmalerei for
the phenomenon as well as for a word, and an onomatopoetic word may also be
called Schallwort.  I have heard Klangnachahmung used as well. The technical
equivalents are Onomatopoesie, Onomatopöie and Onomatopoiie, a word also
Onomatopoetikon, Onomatopöietikon or Onomatopoiietikon.

In Dutch, an onomatopetic word is an onomatopee or a klanknabootsing.

Other languages have similar choices between loanwords and native-based
constructions; e.g., Norwegian onomatopoetikon ~ lydord, Polish onomatopeja ~
dźwiękonaśladownictwo, Slovenian onomatopeja ~ posnemovalna beseda.