LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.01.31 (03) [E]

Wed Jan 31 18:01:34 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L - 31 January 2007 - Volume 02

From: Stan Levinson <stlev99 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L 'Grammar' 2007.01.31 (02) [E/German]

For purposes of comparison, this phenomenon is quite common in Spanish as
well!!!  "No te me vayas" is basically "don't leave 'on me'", NOT "don't
leave me" but "don't leave because it somehow affects me".
But it's not just threatening: "No te me desesperes" lit. "don't despair to
me", is like "don't lose hope" and implies I CARE about your not losing
hope.
Stan

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Good one, Stan, and great to hear from you for a change!

> But it's not just threatening:

Now that you're saying that, it isn't in German and Low Saxon either.  It's
more of a plea, as in Spanish.

German: Gib mir (nur/bloß) nicht (die Hoffnung) auf!
LS: Geev' mi (man bloots) nich (dat Hœpen) up!
"Give me (only) not (the hope) up!"
Don't you lose hope!, Don't you despair!

I still feel that the underlying message is "Don't do it to me!"

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>

Dear Ronny,

thanks for your translation, regarding

'Komm' Du *mir* nicht wieder zu spät nach Hause!'; 'Das machst Du *mir*
bitte nicht noch einmal!'
Auch im Niederdeutschen würde ich es wohl so formulieren: 'Koom Du *mi* ne
weller tou loot no Huus!'; 'Dat mookst Du *mi* ne nochmool weller!'

I didn't think that it could be of common interest!

Greutens/Regards

Johannes "Jonny" Meibohm