LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.09 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:57:40 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  09 July 2007 - Volume 02

From: jonny <jonny.meibohm at arcor.de>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.08 (05) [E/LS]

Tou* 'winsch'* (Adj./Adv.):
> 2. 'winsch', adj., G: 'verdreht', E: 'distorted, twisted', fx. said of a
> wooden bar which doesn't form a plane. ("Dat Brett is winsch, dat kannst
> dor ni för bruken!")
Joo- dat is 't! Bedankt!

Allerbest!

Jonny Meibohm

----------

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.08 (03) [E/LS]

Hi all,

Afrikaans 'klinker" has two meanings:

-a type of hardbaked brick, light and non-porous. One can hear the
porcelain-like
clinks from afar when the bricks get stacked at building sites, and
-linguistically, 'klinkers' are vowels.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology
The noun Klinker is a Dutch loan ( klinkert, klinker) for a type of brick
whose firing at particularly high heat was imported from the Netherlands. It
is based on the Dutch verb klink- (klinken ) 'to sound' (German kling-,
Eastern Central German klink- ), probably because these types of hard bricks
produce a ringing sound when hit.
*"Klinker* sind Ziegelsteine <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziegel>, die
unter so hohen Temperaturen gebrannt sind, dass durch den beginnenden
Sinterprozess <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sintern> die Poren des
Brenngutes geschlossen werden. Klinker nehmen kaum Wasser auf und sind sehr
widerstandsfähig. Der Name rührt daher, dass sie beim Zerschlagen einen
hellen Klang haben."
The last sentence translates: "The origin of the name ("Klinker") is the
bright sound they give when broken."

----------

From: "Arend Victorie" <victorie.a at home.nl>

Moi Leeglaanders,

In Drenthe kent wij het woord 'Wèens'- 'weins'.

't Hef de betiekenis (Een wens doen en verlangen/heimwee naor.

Goodgaon,

Arend victorie

----------

From: "Reuben Epp" <reuben at uniserve.com>
Dear Ron and others,

In discussing the Low Saxon word 'winsch' you seem to have touched upon
the plautdietsch adjective 'winksch.' which carries about the same meaning.
In Plautdietsch the word 'winksch' (adjective), describes an object as being
out-of shape or off-square, hindering its fit where it should fit. I am not
familiar with
the usage of 'winksch' as an adverb, but I could readily accommodate that
usage.

Aulet Baste
.
Reuben Epp
648 Thorneloe Road
Kelowna, BC, V1W 4P6
Telephone - 250-764-4110

From: R. F. Hahn < sassisch at yahoo.com>

Ah, Sönke, it looks like you delivered the missing link!  I do know the noun
Winsch 'windlass' and thought of it but didn't make the connection.  So I
don't get credit.  So the adjective/adverb winsch seems to be semantically
related with verdrayd (verdreiht) "turned/spun the wrong way" = "crazy".

Kumpelmenten in't Huus!