LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.09 (05) [E/F/LS]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 17:54:43 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  08 July 2007 - Volume 05

From: "Arend Victorie" <victorie.a at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.08 (03) [E/LS]

Moi Reinherd, Jonny, Marlou.

Bij oons in Drenthe hebt wij 't woord 'Klint/Klent'

En dat stiet veur een old en vervallen huus.

Goodgaon,

Arend Victorie
---------

From: Henno Brandsma <hennobrandsma at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.09 (02) [E/LS]

From: "Reuben Epp" < reuben at uniserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.08 (05) [E/LS]
Dear Ron and others,

In discussing the Low Saxon word 'winsch' you seem to have touched upon
the plautdietsch adjective 'winksch.' which carries about the same meaning.
In Plautdietsch the word 'winksch' (adjective), describes an object as being
out-of shape or off-square, hindering its fit where it should fit. I am not
familiar with
the usage of 'winksch' as an adverb, but I could readily accommodate that
usage.

In Westerlauwer Frisian we have a word with a very similar meaning: "wynsk"
(from what in Old Frisian we would reconstruct
as "wi:nsk"), different from "winsk" (a noun), which is Old Frisian
"winsk(a)", Dutch "wens" (older spelling "wensch" to show the
etymology a bit better..) = "wish", German Wunsch. "Wynsk" also means
crooked, out of shape.

groetnis,

Henno