LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.28 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 15:55:47 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  28 July 2007 - Volume 02

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology"

Beste Ron,

You wrote:
> That's apparently correct, Kevin. The meaning "fool" is older
> (attested since 1000) and now largely obsolete. The meaning "drunkard"
> (OED "One who dulls or stupefies himself with drinking; one who
> commonly or habitually drinks to excess; a soaker") is attested since
> 1592 ("The Danes are bursten-bellied sots, that are to be confuted
> with nothing but Tankards or quart pots." ...).
>
> I understand that nowadays it's still a matter of dialect and idiom.
> For instance, in the expression "poor (old) sot" it seems to mean
> "fool" rather than "drunkard."

I think you're rather referring to "poor old sod" (and maybe not to
"poor old sot"). The first "sod" happens to be cognate with standard
Dutch "zode", this is a slice of earth with grass on it. Something that
we call "ne rös gès" in Brabantish.

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Luc.  Of course you're right.  Oops!  :>

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.07.27 (04) [D/E]

Hi all,

and in Afrikaans a 'sot' is a pig.