LL-L "Traditions" 2007.06.02 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 04:34:02 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  01 June 2007 - Volume 03

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2007.06.02 (02) [A/D/E/S/V]

Ingmar wrote:

> In het Nederlands: Lieveheersbeestje [liv@"he:rsbe:iS@].
> <Onze Lieve Heer> lit. Our Dear Lord is the name most used for Jesus
> Christ, in Roman Catholic circles. The Netherlands are historically a

> Calvinist Protestant country, but nowadays the "RC's" make up about 40 %
> of the population. In the South, i.e Brabant and Limburg, almost everyone
> is RC, like in Flanders. "Onzelievenheer" (with N) sounds pretty Southern

> and Catholic for the Dutch ear, we (the Protestants) would rather say
> <de Heere> (de Lord). But in <lieveheersbeestje> lady bug/beetle etc
> religion doesn't play a role, or it should be that the Catholics in the

> South (Brabant) call it Onzelieven(h)eersbeestje.

Interestingly, on the former isle of Urk -- which is commonly known as a
strongly Calvinistic community -- some people still say 'Onze Lieve Heer'
there. A friend of mine has grown up in Kampen and his mother her parents
all came from Urk (and even from the evacuated isle of Schokland). They all
referred to 'the Lord' as 'Onze Lieve Heer', which is now being labelled as
Roman Catholic.
Despite the strong influence of Protestantism on Urk, the isle has retained
quite a few old customs that date back to pre-reforation times. This friend
of mine even mentions animistic remnants, such as the common belief in
ghosts (probably of ancestors), without demonising these entities or calling
them things and beliefs from Satan. I'm not sure if these traditions and
beliefs still exist.

Best regards,

Marcel.