LL-L "Traditions" 2007.06.02 (02) [A/D/E/S/V]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 18:14:24 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  27 May 2007 - Volume 02

From: Roland Desnerck  <desnerck.roland at skynet.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.06.01 (01) [E]

Beste Lowlanders,
Eén van de Nederlandse woorden voor penis is "piemel". In het Oostends zijn
er vele woorden, o.m. pulle, furrel, kalle, sjarrel, tuute, lulle,
pieseloene...
Voor meisjes ook vele woorden, waaronder "piepaljoentsje" (wat ook het
Oostends is voor onze-lieve-heersbeestje), "miezemotsje", "kweeba",
"trutte", "miezjolle" ...
Een "piepaljoene" nam men oip de hand en liet men kruipen tot de vingertop;
als het wegvloog uitte men een wens. Het liedje dat men er bij zong was:
piepaljoentsje tiederiederoentsje,
bloksje stoksje,
vliegt up Uuze-lieven-Haire ze kêseboom (kerselaar);
of ook:
piepaljoene tiederiederoene
bloksje stoksje
vliegd overol,
vliegd over Uuze-lieven-Hirtsje
ze kérkhovvetsje ...
en er zijn  nog varianten ...

Toetnoasteki
Roland Desnerck uut Osténde in West-Vlaanderen

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Traditions

Tere, Mari!

Our Roland cross-posted the above text.  Most of it was in response to your
question about ladybirds/ladybugs being sung to. I don't know if you can
read Dutch and Western Flemish, so I'll take a stab at giving you the gist
of the relevant stuff.

In Western Flemish of Ostend, a name for ladybug is piepaljoene.

You allow a ladybug to crawl onto the tip of a finger and then let it fly
away, and at that time you make a wish and sing:

piepaljoentsje tiederiederoentsje,
bloksje stoksje,
vliegt up Uuze-lieven-Haire ze kêseboom (kerselaar);
of ook:
piepaljoene tiederiederoene
bloksje stoksje
vliegd overol,
vliegd over Uuze-lieven-Hirtsje
ze kérkhovvetsje ...
en er zijn  nog varianten ...

Some of the words appear to be "nonsense" but evocative.

Ladybug {"time rider ..."?},
Blocks, stocks (sticks)
Flies onto Our Dear Lord's cherry-tree ...

or

Ladybug {"time rider ..."?},
Blocks, stocks (sticks),
Flies everywhere,
Flies across Our Dear Lord's
Churchyard.

Please bear in mind that in many Continental Lowlands language varieties and
also in German there are references to The Lord and to the Virgin Mary in
the names for ladybugs.

Please also look at the archive for more references to ladybugs. While most
of it is etymological, it seems to provide clues about the tradition.

***

LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.12 (03) [E/LS]

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Oh, yes, and then there's the largely unexplored world of Lowlandic
zoological names ...  Take another type of bug, the ladybug (~
ladybird), for instance.  In Dutch it is _lieveheersbeestje_ ("Dear

Lord's critter"), and in Low Saxon it has similar fancy names, such as
_Heergottskoh_ ~ _Herrgottskoh_ ("The Lord's cow"), _Sünnenkind_ ("sun
child"), _Sünnenküken_ ("sun chick"), _Maanküken_ ("moon chick") and

_Maankalf_ ("moon calf")!

LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.12 (05) [E/German]

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.12 (03) [E/LS]

In Westerlauwers Frisian a ladybird is an ingeltsje - a little angel. In
't Bildt, the small reclaimed area in the very north of Fryslan where I
spent a lot of my early childhood, I seem to recall it was called
something else, but I can't remember what. (Bildts is quite different to
W.Frisian.) Does anyone know?

LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.13 (02) [A/E/LS/S]

From: "Elsie Zinsser" <ezinsser at simpross.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.12 (06) [A]

Hallo almal,

In sy skrywe verwys Ron na die 'ladybird' wat onder andere in Frans
_bête à bon Dieu_,
in Laag Sorbies _boz^e sl/ónc^ko_ en in Laag Saksies _Herrgottskoh_
genoem word.

In Afrikaans praat ons van die "liewe Here besie". Dis nou vir die
kewertjie met die kolletjies lyfie en die rede dat ek vir 20 jaar nie
meer gif op my plante spuit nie, maar liewer  'n konkoksie van tabak,
olie en water kook en dit op my sitrusbome as teenmiddel spuit.

From: "Marco Evenhuis" <evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.12 (05) [E/German]

In my dialect of Zeêuws/Zeelandic, a ladybird is called
_papoenebeêstje_.
Other dialects of Zeelandic have forms like _pimpampoentje_,

From: "W!M" <wkv at home.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2002.05.12 (06) [E]

Hi,
There are also bugs and beetles called with the word  "haantjes"
"haante" as
part of their name. In Dutch. (The male part of the chicken family...)
_kapoenebeêstje_ and _pepoendertje_.