LL-L "History" 2007.06.04 (01) [D/E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:10:33 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  04 June 2007 - Volume 01

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Traditions" 2007.06.03 (06) [E]

Good day, everybody.

In Afrikaans you get *liewe(n)heersbesie *and *skilpadjie -*- little
tortoise --* *(and varieties of that).
Reinhard, you wrote that Low Saxon has *Sunnenkäver* and *Sunnenperd *and
the like, that refer to the sun. In Afrikaans the common name for a cicad is
*sonbesie*.

But we also see that many languages refer to cattle. Now I wonder if the
Afrikaans use of '-besie' in *sonbesie *is indeed a variety of the Dutch
word *beestje*, which means 'little animal, little insect/bug', or if
Afrikaans '-besie' refers to a cow (in Afrikaans *bees*).

In Dutch 'beestjes' is commonly used for any small insect or bug. "Er zitten
beestjes op mijn t-shirt", or "Als ik te veel gedronken heb zie ik allemaal
beestjes" (!).

Best regards,

Marcel.