LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.04 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 21:20:01 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  04 June 2007 - Volume 04

From: MWI <wintzermichel at wanadoo.fr>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.04 (02) [LS]

 Moinmoin LLs,
Helge wrote again on this subject, as follows:
"Beter no schull wen, wenn all de doerpen un steden in nordduetschland
konsequent alleen eer nedersassischen naams kregen"
Helge, that would be great, and I didn't mean to
diminish the impact and importance that would have,
for the reasons you indicate. I must confess that
my previous reaction was not born out of joy and
optimism about the news from Glinde. Every crumb
of bread is after all bread and better than no
bread.
No my reaction was born out of disappointment,
frustration, anger that all we are allowed to try
to stop the down-hill side is to put a rock here and
there in front of the wheels, instead doing the
only thing that could still stop it: engage REVERSE
gear. Which would mean nothing less than:
Reinstating the language as a primary language
into all its public functions: education, media,
administration. Utopian? I know.
The reality is that world-wide one language is
lost on the average every day.
From where my frustration.
Don't get me wrong: LS names would be memorial
to our language to let future generations know
that it once existed. In this spirit I say to the
Glinders and all the other enthousiastic, courageous, dedicated field
workers trying to fight those
morons sitting in their offices: man tau!
Tschüß, Mike Wintzer