LL-L "Phonology" 2007.06.11 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 23:13:05 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  11 June 2007 - Volume 04

From: Diederik Masure <didimasure at hotmail.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hoi, I was wondering if any of you is known with the following phenomenon:
aspiration of final p, t, k.

Generally the Germanic languages have only aspirated ptk at the beginning of
words, and not in the clusters s+ptk. Medial/final ptk are always
unaspirated. This is as far as I know the case in German, the Scandinavian
languages and English.
(Standard) Dutch doesn't have any aspiration at all.

As with standard Dutch, we (in Antwerp? In whole Brabant? that's what I'm
trying to find out) seem to have aspirated ptk, but only word-finally. As
bdg is devoiced word-finally they also get aspiration.
Toe (closed) thence is pronounced "toe", but boot (boat) "booth" - with
aspirated t, not English th. Kar is pronounced "kar", but boek sounds as
"boekh".

None of the books on dialect I read ever mentions this, but noone seems
aware of it either, here. But when I was in Norway, people tended to hear
"Diederik" as "Diederich" (with [x]). Recently someone in amsterdam also
commented on my weird pronunciation of final -k.
And today my sister told that at diction classes, she learnt that people
from here should take care not to pronounce paard (horse) as paarth because
that makes unclear buzzing when speaking into microphones.
So I think it's clear to assume there is something, although it never seems
to be investigated properly.

So my original question was, anyone else (mainly asking our other Flemish
members, but also the others) knows this feature from his own dialect or is
it regionally very limited?

Greets,
Diederich

PS because the Norwegians interpret it as "ch", I am not totally sure
whether it is aspirated kh or an affricat, kch, tþ, pf with a weak
'whispered' ch/th/f in the end.