LL-L "Websites" 2007.06.15 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 21:36:38 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  15 June 2007 - Volume 06

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Travel"

Dear Marcus and Ron,

You wrote:
> Marcus about Second Life:
>
> > But I want to say: don't expect
> too much. You have to invest much time (and many Linden-Dollars) to
> set up a working and useful subsidiary on Second Life. Perhaps a good
> old-fashioned HTML website is a better invested effort.

Sure, the LL-L website has great value in itself, Second Life (SL)
merely offers a way to promote it.

> This is also what I think about it today after reading a bit about
> it.  There's nothing wrong with virtual life games, but in our case
> this would only work if it really served our purpose, if it reached
> the kinds of people we want to reach and attract, and if it yields the
> best results that can be maintained with the available time, effort
> and resources.

This is indeed what I'd like to know as well: What kind of people do we
want to reach?

One thing seems obvious: It's necessary to revamp/repackage/refurbish
our languages for the coming generations and SL could give us that
opportunity. True, just like real life, virtual life doesn't come with a
manual, so it's only natural that people initially get lost. Maybe, if
we put up some multilingual "Ortsschiller", they might feel more at home
:-D .

> On a personal note, the looks and movements of most virtual characters
> give me the creeps.

Mmm...newbies barely know how to walk in SL, and a good video card does
wonders too.
Regarding "lowlife" on SL; in the nineties, the Internet was suffering
from the same vile preconception. And yet, people grew up and learned
how to deal with it, 'cause they realised that you shouldn't throw out
the baby with the bathwater. On a different scale: There's no need
skipping a cycling trip through the Lüneburger Heide because the
Reeperbahn is nearby, is there?

Kind greetings,

Luc Hellinckx