LL-L "Travels" 2007.06.29 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 04:55:12 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  29 June 2007 - Volume 02

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Travels

Dear Lowlanders,

Please don't forget our Travels website (lowlands-l.net/travels/).

We need more contributions to really kick it off, though the littler there
is is already being visited frequently. (Andrys' article about St. Jacob's
path and Jonny's article about Land Hadeln seem to be particularly popular.)

Today I added another travel tip: lowlands-l.net/travels/kiekeberg.php

It lends itself more toward demonstrating what I mean by brief and
to-the-point blurbs, though it could be shorter too.

Please check the instructions for contributions here:
lowlands-l.net/travels/submission.php

Do remember that you may write in any language you wish, that help with
English composition is available and that you are free to publish your
blurbs anonymously or under assumed names if you wish.  (The Travel Team
promises confidentiality.)

Please check the language guide:

Basic Phrases: lowlands-l.net/travels/phrases.php
Basic Vocabulary (accompanying the phrases):
lowlands-l.net/travels/words.php
Basic Number Words: lowlands-l.net/travels/numbers.php

We still need these guides for Afrikaans, Dutch, Limburgish and Scots, at
the very least. Other varieties of Low Saxon would be nice.  Please write to
me if you volunteer for these, because I would like to avoid duplication of
effort. (Someone already volunteered for Frisian.)

Please remember that these are meant to be practical survival guides for
people traveling in Lowlands-relevant areas (which includes transplanted
language and culture as well as colonial sites).  For this reason it would
be very nice if we had such guides also for Danish, Estonian, French
(Belgium, France, Quebec), Indonesian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay,
Norwegian, Polish (Northern Poland), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian
(Kaliningrad, Russia proper, Ukraine), Spanish (Latin America) and Swedish.
Kashubian and Walloon would be nice, too, as would be Bislama, Papiamentu,
Sranan and Tok Pisin.  As Elsie suggested, guides for Southern Africa's
Nguni languages would be handy also.  I further suggest basic comparative
lists of American, Australian, British, New Zealand and South African
English where terms and expressions differ.  Guides to Indian, Malaysian,
Singaporean and Hong Kong English would be great too.  I'm also fancying a
list of special expressions in (Low-Saxon-influenced) Northern German
compared with "neutral" Standard German.

You will find the templates for the language guides here:
Basic Phrases: lowlands-l.net/travels/phrases_template.php
Basic Vocabulary: lowlands-l.net/travels/words_template.php
Basic Number Words: lowlands-l.net/travels/numbers_template.php

Please let me know if you wish to volunteer or have any suggestions.

Let's keep putting the Lowlands on the map!  This is a chance for you to
share your native or favorite places and things you care about.

Thank you very much!

Reinhard/Ron

P.S.: To see what's new please scroll down on any page and look under "New"
at the bottom left.