LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.30 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 17:44:55 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  30 June 2007 - Volume 01

From: "list at marcusbuck.org" <list at marcusbuck.org>
Subject: language slating

I've read about "Welsh Not" and the "Symbole".
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Not>,
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbole>). Methods of to slate speakers
of Welsh and Breton and to make them feel inferior cause of their
language.

I am really interested, whether there where similar methods known
elsewhere. Do some of you know other examples? My speacial interest of
course is Low Saxon, but examples from other languages too.

Thanks in advance
Marcus Buck

----------

From: Mike Wintzer <k9mw at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2007.06.27 (04) [E]

Ron wrote

"After all, not all European minorities have "home countries" to rely on for
protection, such as Frisians, Sorbs, Kashubians, Rusyns, Roma, Occitans,
Galicians, Catalans, Arumanians, Rhaetians, Bretons, Gaels, Friulans,
Livonians and Saami, to name only a few.  Who would look out for them if we
relied on two-country treaties?"

The European Charta would, wouldn't it? Or would it???

It's still a long way...

Kumpelmenten to all, Mike Wintzer

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language politics

Marcus, with regard to Low Saxon in schools, so far I have only heard
anecdotal reports about corporal punishment and about children having to
stand in classroom corners.  I believe there was no real system, just a
general directive to forbid language use in schools.

I have also heard anecdotal reports about Afrikaans-speaking children having
to carry signs around their necks that identified them as "Dutch" speakers
if they dared to speak their language in English-only schools (which for a
period where all schools for whites, I believe).

Mike, indeed, I understand that the Charter is meant to emancipate all minority
language communities, that such communities no longer have to rely on the
(usually wanting) good will of their respective governments.  However, this
is in theory only, and, as you see, we'll have to see how this plays out.

In general, the British, Dutch and German governments have been fairly
responsive in the great scheme of things.  Kudos to the British government
especially for having been relatively open-minded (not talking about details
regarding the Scottish government's attitude regarding Scots).  Might the
previous absence of a language policy have been helpful here rather than an
obstruction?  Kudos also to the Spanish government. Was its relative
openness facilitated by the country's general reemergence from fascism?

What we need to bear in mind is that the Charter asks nations to shift
attitudinal gears, including nations that a century or two ago did not even
exist as we now know them.  Their founding fathers sought to bring about
national unity by instituting single-language policies -- confusion between
"lingua franca" and "monolingualism."  In the Balkans (including Greece)
there is the emergence from Ottoman rule which is ideologically linked with
the ultimate victory and reestablishment of native language and culture (and
Christianity), where "native" equals "majority."  This is echoed in the
post-Soviet Baltic countries in which large Russian minorities are still
perceived as a threat.  There is Poland, from which German speakers had been
expelled not long ago, now being asked to officially acknowledge the
existence of remaining German-speaking communities.  There is Belgium which
is caught in a perpetual, uneasy truce between Dutch and French (with a
minor regional concession to German) and thus dares not open itself to
debating minority language rights in fears of upsetting the current delicate
balance.  And there is France, which had no language policy until the
revolution, where the revolution remains to be perceived as a great victory,
and this great victory came with the constitutionally enshrined abolition of
languages other than French.  So what we're asking some nations to do is
"fiddle with" sacrosanct institutions and sensitive areas.  It would be
naive of us to expect overnight results, I believe.

I believe that it would be a good start if everyone understood that "lingua
franca" and "monolingualism" are not synonymous.  It's as simple as that.

Helge and Mike, you still need to let me know whether or not it is all right
with you that selections of our exchanges be published by Eurolang.