LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.03.23 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 22:36:22 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

From: Jonny Meibohm <altkehdinger at freenet.de>
Subject: LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.03.23 (01) [E/S]

Beste Peter Snepvanger and Ben Blomgren,

did Peter (who signed the posting at the end) or did Ben (who is named as
author in the header of it) write:

My father spoke at least 8 languages fluently and many others to a lesser
degree. He used to say jokingly the difference between a language and a
dialect is basically that the dialect couldn't afford an army.

And I guess your father some good years ago joked this way, but I don't joke
when I several times wrote here on our list that modern, big languages are
able to defend themselves but the old and 'minorital' ones, as e.g.
LS, can't.
There are only some handful of people being capable enough in LS to control
what's right and what's wrong. Things even become worse by the fact that
there is a great number of regional dialects, in The Netherlands as well as
in Germany.

And cheap but trendy dictionaries don't help much to find the truth...

Allerbest

Jonny Meibohm