LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.25 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 04:09:25 UTC 2007

From: Marcel Bas <roepstem at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2007.03.25 (02) [E]

Hi Jacqueline!

You asked:
"My mother used to call a really impolite, naughty boy "een velg" Where does
that come from?. Does anybody know?"

Which dialect did your mother speak?
I have tried to find an explanation for this word _velg_ but all I could
find was the Standard Dutch word, which means 'fallow land'

Maybe the word is related to English _fellow_ 'partner', analogous to other
labialisations of this kind (cf. _balg_ ~_bellow_, _zwelgen_ ~)_swallow_).
But I don't see other negative meanings for this word in our dialects.

On the other hand the meaning of your mother's word _velg_ does fully
correspond with Dutch _vlegel_ (a really impolite, naughty boy). Maybe it
could be a metathesis of _vlegel_, hence _vlegel_ > _velgel_ >_velg_.

What would you think?

Best regards,

Marcel.