LL-L "Language maintenance" 2007.05.02 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed May 2 21:01:24 UTC 2007

 http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands.list at gmail.com

 Commands ("signoff lowlands-l" etc.): listserv at listserv.net

 Administration: lowlands.list at gmail.com or sassisch at yahoo.com

L O W L A N D S - L  -  1 May 2007 - Volume 09

From: "Bryan E. Schulz" <bryans at lodging1.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language maintenances" 2007.05.02 (06) [D/E]

 Reinhard/Ron;

* P.S.: Bryan, I don't necessarily mean "preserving for all times."

Of course you do!  At least I hope that is what you are attempting here.
All we have to study today is a little bit of writing and some vague
oral recitations from the beginning of history until now.  Step back from
your perceptions and look at these exciting times in your 'mind's eye'.
We live in stunningly (I hate these double suffix words but, I use them)
dramatic and exciting times.  It is finally possible for someone 20-30+
generations in the future to literally hear and see the words exactly as we
use them today. That is what the Wren story is about, no?  Hopefully, our
languages will have continued to flourish, improve and integrate to the
point that we will have excellent communications between ALL ethnic,
religious and cultural groups regardless ot their individual language!
Indeed, we should strive to preserve any good and constructive elements of
any language and not let luck/chance point us down the crazy path without a
bit of direction.  It would just plain silly to think that we can arrange
the future languages as we would like them.
Anyway, thanx for the info about Nynorsk.  The other day I was evaluating a
computer software package and it stated that it supported Nynorsk.  I paused
and thought "What the heck is Nynorsk?" and went on.  You see, it is
becoming even more important for 'computers' to be able to operate in a
number of languages and dialects.  In fact, I remember a time when anyone
that worked on 'computers' needed to be fluent in English.  It still leans
toward English but is exciting to finally see many languages become native
languages in the computer "cyberworld".

Alles Gut,

Bryan E. Schulz

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language maintenance

Thanks, Bryan.  I can't really argue with any of that.

As for presentations like the wren story extravaganza, of course we have no
control over what people get out of it, if anything.  It's meant to be an
exhibition that in variously educational.  It also has museological
qualities, but I hope that no one considers it purely a cyber museum.

As for Nynorsk, I'm  pleased it came in handy.  It means "New Norwegian,"
which may appear weird considering that it draws from "preserved" dialects
that are typologically more West Scandinavian, but it is really "new" in the
sense of being "constructed" more recently, while Dano-Norwegian, based on
Danish, an East Scandinavian language, evolved over a long time (and took on
more West Scandinavian features more recently, such as lots of older
Norwegian words and also things like genitive after nouns, such as far
min"father mine" = "my father').

Relevant to the Lowlands situation (aside from a plethora of Middle Saxon
loans in both languages, though more in Dano-Norwegian) is that Nynorsk
seems to me to be a bit of a tenuous "standard" umbrella for the more
conservative dialects.  The standard is fairly vague and allows for dialects
to show through even in written form.  In that sense it's rather flexible,
though its orthographic standards assure that speakers of different dialects
can understand each other's written communiction, and at the same time there
is the option of a more neutral mode, for instance to be used by announcers,
etc.  Currently, the language is regularly used by only 13% of Norway's
population, but it is official, and it must be studied as a second language
by Dano-Norwegian-speaking students, which has been causing much moaning and
groaning, especially by those that consider it inconsequential.