LL-L "History" 2007.05.06 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Sun May 6 18:09:12 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  06 May 2007 - Volume 01

From: Paul Finlow-Bates <wolf_thunder51 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.05.05 (06) [E]

From: Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net >
Subject: LL-L "History" 2007.05.05 (02) [E]

Subject: LL-L "History"
You ask how it happened that Rollo's Norseman were absorbed so quickly into
the French population? It's quite simple; they were a shiptake & more of
men. They took local women to wife, had locals in service, & any business
they did at all but drink with their cupmates was in French. They were,
however, very intelligent, & soon enough learned the local argot, but it was
the women & servants, not excluding the priests, that taught their sons.

Yrs,
Mark

There is a reference from the early 11thC of a Norman noble sending his son
to Caen "to learn the speech of his ancestors".  This is presumably Danish,
and implies it was still used in Upper Circles then.  It also implies that
most Normans, even upper class ones, didn't.

There is also a reference to a Norman family having a battle-cry something
like "Tur" into the 13thC.  This could be either Thor or Tyr in origin.

Clearly though, the Norman founders were very few in number, and rapidly
assimilated language, just as the Germanic Franks before them.  Of course,
in England, the Normans went full-circle; they ended up speaking a West
Germanic language with major Scandinavian influences!

Paul Finlow-Bates