LL-L "Travels" 2007.05.21 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:14:54 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  21 May 2007 - Volume 02

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Travels" 2007.05.20 (03) [E]

In message
<57c981290705201214r2800107dw4e5d2665e013a2d7 at mail.gmail.com>,
Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at gmail.com> Roger writes
>I generally count on 1000 to 2000 USD per conference day (depending on
>sponsoring) plus up to 250 USD + taxes for lodging

I think your observations on the mix of networking and lectures is very
accurate.  But I am astonished by the costs!  The lodging costs are what
I expect - perhaps with another 100 USD if it is full board.  I find
most conferences I go to range from 20 USD to 400 USD per day ....
obviously archaeologists / heritage folk / local government officers
don't have the budgets that people in "the real world" do!

Occasionally I come across books of papers which originated in 'closed'
seminars - a dozen or more people who met and lived together for a few
days, everyone reading a paper at some point, but a lot of discussion
time between, too.  I am very envious of those who participate in such
happenings!

Cheers,

Pat

--
Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...
        ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>

Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at gmail.com> i.e. Roger writes
>I can imagine this may be an issue for people who do not travel very
>much.

I don't think it matters what the scale is.  'This is my favourite cycle
ride' seems to me to be just as valid as 'an inter-continental journey.

I am trying to learn how to use Googlemaps to make something like this:
http://www.blogoklahoma.us/main.asp?xP=BlogLink&xM=1&xY=235

Best wishes,