LL-L "Travels" 2007.05.22 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue May 22 14:53:54 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  22 May 2007 - Volume 01

From: Jacqueline Bungenberg de Jong <Dutchmatters at comcast.net>
Subject: LL-L "Travels" 2007.05.20 (06) [E]

Re: Name for our new adventure group. Lowland Explorer sounds peachy keen,
but so does Lowland adventure. Aren't we going to write aboutall kinds of
our adventures while exploring a whole host of new things? I love the plan,
but I am too busy right now to do anything about it. Jacqueline BdJ

----------

From: Maria Elsie Zinsser <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Hi all,

We are hoping to present random sketchy personal opinions and perspectives
of a place or area that has been visited. These are Travel Tips rather than
a Travel Guide.

...and wearing my corporate communications hat; we should not use
Explorer/Discoverer as these are most likely registered trademarks.

Lekker ry!
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: "Ben J. Bloomgren" <godsquad at cox.net>
Subject: LL-L "Travels" 2007.05.20 (05) [E]

 • a travel section as a possible new web presentation
Ron and list, I'm learning how to do what are called
soundscapes/sound-seeing tours. There like video for blind folk. I already
have a small collection, so I can send them to you for you to see what I
mean. Soundscapes are a bit foreign to the sighted world, but I'd be happy
to bring the two worlds together, especially as I'm going to Hermosillo,
Sonora, Mexico in August to study at their university.
Ben

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Travels

Thanks for the input, everyone!

I was just mentally screaming "Hurray!" in response to Jacqueline's
"adventure" suggestion when Elsie's "downer" arrived.  Good point, though,
Elsie!

So maybe we'll just have to come back down to earth and call it something
plain, simple and -- yawn -- mundane like ...

   - Lowlands-L Travel Tips

Any better suggestions?

Hey, Ben!

Thanks for the tip.  I've listened to a museum guide and several TV
voice-overs for the Blind.  I've heard about site descriptions of the type
you mentioned, and I've long wondered what they are like.  It would be great
to get some sample snippets of them, preferably in written form.  This would
give me and other interested people some reference points.  In fact, I
wouldn't mind writing or translating some pictures or visual memories this
way and to make a special section for blind visitors.  That would be so
cool!

I suppose there are differences in catering to blind people that were once
sighted and to those that never were, but one would have to take the latter
as the default.  From our Sandy's descriptions I've learned that there are
differences of this sort in the Deaf world: those that once had hearing
remember sounds, while those that never had any hearing don't have the same
concept of the sounds we talk about -- they're abstract to them, I assume.

Building bridges of this sort is really important.  At least it is to me,
just as much as building bridges between cultures, languages, traditions,
religions, etc.  So the more you and Sandy can help us the better.

Being in the business of bridge building, I would personally welcome these
particular challenges as a great opportunity.  Catering ("translating")
material for the Blind and Deaf is pretty much as close as the rest of us
can get to walking in their shoes once in a little while.  This is bound to
heighten our awareness, sensitivity and consideration and thus to make us
more likely to aim for more inclusivity in our communication.  And on the
selfish end of things, let's not sweep under the rug the likelihood that at
some point in life one or the other among us will turn deaf or blind, or
both.  So early awareness is a good thing for everyone.

I'm all for it.  So thanks for bringing that up and offering help, buds.