LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.29 (06) [E/Spanish]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Tue May 29 22:43:20 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  29 May 2007 - Volume 06

From: Ulpi Alvarez <email at ulpialvarez.com>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.29 (04) [E]

Beste Ron,

Apart from several spelling mistakes in the Spanish version (which is
someone else's fault, I guess you just copied and pasted it, right?), I
liked the translation, it looks good and close enough to me,
congratulations! Never heard of this song before though, but I'll try to get
it on mp3 on the weekend :-)

Regards,

Ulpi

----------

From: Ulpi Alvarez <email at ulpialvarez.com>

Oh, I forgot. This is what the 'Diccionario de la Real Academia de la
Lengua' says about 'guachinango':

guachinango, ga.

(Voz nahua).

1. adj. Cuba y P. Rico. Astuto, zalamero.

2. adj. coloq. Cuba. Dicho de una persona: Sencilla y de carácter apacible.
U. t. c. s.

3. adj. P. Rico. burlón (‖ inclinado a burlas).

4. m. Cuba y Méx. Pez comestible marino, de cuerpo y aletas de color rojizo,
con el vientre y los costados rosados y los ojos rojo vivo.

*U.t.c.s. Means – utilizado/usado también como sustantivo

Regards,

Ulpi

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Wow!  Thanks, Ulpi!  How nice to hear from you again!

The spelling is the original (including ir- ~ hir-) from the mid-19th
century. This is how it is written in early editions.

> 2. adj. coloq. Cuba. Dicho de una persona: Sencilla y de carácter
apacible. U. t. c. s.

Aha!  So whoever told me it was a word for "Mexican" may have been wrong!
Or are both of them correct perhaps?

According this, this guachinanga would be something like "nice girl/woman."

But at the top it says "(voz nahua)", which I understand to mean that the
word is derived from the Nahuatl language (the descendant of Classical
Nahuatl, the language of the Aztecs), which is a native language of Mexico.
And it's also the name of a municipality in Jalisco Province of Mexico.  So
perhaps because of that guachinango came to be a by-name for "Mexican."  Do
you think that's possible?  I think the original meaning is "slippery" and
"smooth" (still used as such in Cuba and Puerto Rico), derived from that
"smarmy," "red snapper" and "even-tempered," also in Puerto Rico "mocking
person," perhaps via "slippery (with words)".

Thanks again!
Reihard/Ron