LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.30 (03) [D/E]

Lowlands-L List lowlands.list at gmail.com
Wed May 30 16:23:02 UTC 2007

L O W L A N D S - L  -  30 May 2007 - Volume 03

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.25 (01) [E]

In message
<57c981290705250802l6e9c788coc273ee80b9005ac6 at mail.gmail.com>,
Lowlands-L List <lowlands.list at gmail.com> i,e Reinhard Ron gives us the
lyrics to
>Land of the silver birch

... which inspired me to recall other Guiding/Scouting songs with a
'Lowlands' touch.  The concept of sea-going barges was frankly
astonishing to me, living as I did on the 'cut' (Grand Union Canal).
There seems to be no definitive answer to which river is referred to
candidates include many US rivers, the St. Laurence seaway, the Seine,
Thames, and Rhine.

It comes in many variants.

See http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=7838

Cheers,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds

It may look messy now ...
        ... but just you come back in 500 years time (T. Pratchett).

----------

From: Roland Desnerck <desnerck.roland at skynet.be>
Subject: LL-L "Songs" 2007.05.29 (06) [E/Spanish]

Beste Allemaal,
Toen ik in 1976 in Mexico was, omgeving Acapulco, heb ik op het strand een
gebakken vis gegeten, genaamd "huachinango".
Ik heb nogal wat boeken over de taal van de Mexicah (meervoud van Mexicatl),
het Nahuatl, en zoek eens verder op. Ik laat het jullie weten ...
Toetnoasteki.
Roland Desnerck uut Osténde in West-Vlaanderen.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Songs

Bedankt, leyve vründ Roland!

Yes, guachinago and huachinango are interchangeable.

European languages got quite a few words from Nahuatl; e.g.

coyote < coyotl (koyotl)
German Ozelot < ozelotl (jaguar)
Spanish zorro < zorrah (fox)
chocolate < xocolatl (*šokolatl)

[* By the way, what is spelled tl -- the affricate version of Welsh ll, thus
pronounced [tɬ] (in some Nahuatl dialects [ts]) -- is an excellent example
of an areal feature. It occurs across genealogical lines from Alaska to
Tierra de Fuego!]

> Toen ik in 1976 in Mexico was, omgeving Acapulco, heb ik op het strand een
gebakken vis gegeten, genaamd "huachinango".

I understand this fish is called "red snapper" (Lutjanus campechanus) in
English, rode snapper in Dutch, and Roter Schnapper in German.  It's very
commonly eaten in the Americas.

I've done a bit of research on this and have come to the conclusion that it
all goes back to the Nahuatl place name Cuauhchicnauhco [kwaʊhʧikˈnaʊhko],
literally meaning "place of nine timbers," which I believe to be that of
today's Guachinango in Jalisco Province. So I assume that the fish is called
after the area as are the people and their supposed characteristics.

Regards!